As we progress through this lovely Spring Semester of 2012, we constantly make positive choices that will echo throughout not only the campus, but our personal lives. I have personally experienced this and to be honest, I am not so sure I am enjoying the changes it brings.

For me personally, being positive is not only extremely important, but extremely helpful. I have my schedule maxed out as of late, and it is extremely tiring. If I do not maintain a positive outlook on everything, I think I would surely lose my sanity. (What little I may, or may not have left. LOL!) Having two jobs, and being a full-time student is not a lighthearted task, especially when taking on the challenge of maintaining a high GPA. These are all goals I have set for myself, and thus far into my “journey” I have done just that. However, things seem to be changing in my life, and it is a result of the choices I have made.

The changes I am discussing are in no way negative. Just the opposite in fact! Things are changing ever slowly, but constantly in our lives, and thankfully I have made the correct choices over the course of this academic year, which causes the changes to respond in kind. I can say with confidence that I would not be where I am today had those choices not been made.

However..

I am not the kind who takes changes in stride. They are not my forte. (For lack of a better term.) I think most people can at the very least relate to how I am currently feeling. It is becoming apparent that my first academic year at  SCF is coming to a close. We are slowly winding down. New material seems to be coming to a halt. (If it has not yet stopped for you, don’t worry, you’re almost there!) In what seems like no time at all, we will be finished with final examinations, and enjoying summer. (I will at least!)

I recently heard a commercial on 106.5 CTQ that I didn’t really think about much initially, but I find myself reminded by it from writing this blog. The opener was something along the lines of “Blink your eyes twice. Now your lunch break is over, and you’re back to work.” It then went on and on about how their restaurant is so quick, that you won’t miss much of what little time you get for lunch. On the surface, it just seems like good advertising, but I think it is almost true for day-to-day life.

As stressful as school, or work may be, (or even a combination thereof..) try to enjoy it as much as you can. Take a moment to reflect on why you are here, and what goals you have set for yourself. If you can say to yourself “Man.. It’s been difficult, but it’s worth it.” then you are on the right track! Life may not be easy, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth that struggle.

I have been doing a lot of reflection lately. Looking at the tasks I have overcome, and the odds I have beaten. I am glad for them, because they are what made me who I am. I have recently come to a curve in the road. I have taken some classes at SCF that not only taught me about a given subject, but something so much more important. What you enjoy doing in life. At the beginning of this semester, had I been asked what I planned on doing for a career, I would have told you I wanted to be a Veterinarian. Now that this semester is coming to a close, I can say with confidence that it is not what I was meant to do. Chemistry is a great course, it is just not for me. That is something taking Intro to Chem has taught me, that is more important than balancing equations, or even stoichiometric equations.. Eliminating extraneous solutions. (Yes, I am a math junkie!) That is what I have done this semester, on top of other things too of course. Now that I have eliminated an extraneous solution, I will look into plugging other answers in, and seeing what the final answer turns out to be. I am just kind of nervous about it. It had made me realize that I am very quickly growing up, and soon I will be a successful <Enter whatever I end up being here>. Until then, it’s a mystery! I am just going to do what I can to get there in one piece, take my time, and enjoy the ride! :)

Have you learned anything from your classes that wasn’t necessarily in the class description? I’ve explained my experiences, and am curious to hear about others’ choices and career goals. Feel free to email me at studentblog@scf.edu