My favorite meal of the day is breakfast. Largely because I’m good at making all sorts of breakfast foods (eggs, omeletes, biscuits and gravy, french toast, bacon, mmmmmmmm), but also because I think it all tastes really great! Did you know that breakfast is actually one of the most important meals of the day?

I’m sure I’m not the only one who sacrifices this meal though. I have some friends who can’t stand to eat food in the morning, so they don’t. Personally, its more of a case of sleepiness. I could get up half an hour earlier to eat… or I could sleep an extra half hour and eat later, haha. While this isn’t really the best choice to make, we all know how comfortable beds are in the morning, plotting against any plans that have been made for the day. But I digress! There are a lot of reasons breakfast is such an important meal, all of them related to how your body works.

Theoretically, in order to keep your metabolism running smoothly, it is best to eat every three hours. This doesn’t mean you have to eat a whole meal, but say maybe, a snack. Eat some almonds or a cliff bar, something to tide you over to your next meal. Keeping this in mind, think about how much sleep you get each night– I sure hope its more than three hours! This means that your body is extra groggy in the morning, and it really needs that kick in the stomach to get it going again. Alongside this, I know that I get really distracted when I’m hungry. When I’ve gone too long without food, I honestly cannot focus on anything. Most of the time, you’re getting up in the morning to go do something, in most of our cases, to go to classes. You haven’t eaten for hours and hours! Your body needs that meal, even if its a small one, to help focus and ground it in preparation for the day ahead.

Do you eat breakfast? If not, how come? What are some of your favorite meals? I’d love to hear about all of these things, so please email us your point of view at studentblog@scf.edu.