Reading Material

Well readers, I’ve gotten myself started now and I don’t think I can stop. Last post I mentioned a short story I read in an anthology about Scottish women and it really got me thinking about how much I wanted to share some of my favorite authors with you. How many of you like to read books as a hobby? Something to pass time, something you enjoy rather than something you do because classes require it of you.

Well, I am one of those people. I read like crazy. I would actually call myself addicted to reading, to be completely honest, because I will read over all other things. When it hits me that I need to read a story, it does not matter what papers need writing, what food I should be eating, what I should be working on, if I’m in that story I am not coming out until its done. Which is probably one of those cases of too much of a good thing, but we’re not going into that, haha. Instead, I’m going to tell you about a few of my favorite authors.

• Jacqueline Carey: Jacqueline Carey writes some of the most amazing books I have ever read. They are so in-depth, I cannot even imagine the amount of research that this woman had to dedicate in order to produce such a detailed account of what is essentially ancient world history. Her writing style is pretty prolific, her prose is very thick with description and is very lengthy. Her books are not small… if you don’t want a lot to read, you do not want to read a book by Jacqueline Carey. But they take you everywhere! In the nine books I have read by her, I have vicariously traveled across the entirety of Europe, through the Middle East, gone into Russia, Mongolia, China, India, Egypt (and followed the Nile to its source), and even across oceans into South America. There’s so much, and the way that the religious aspects are interwoven into their very lives, the way that it is more than just a concept, it is a reality…  I could go on, but I wouldn’t stop. Jacqueline Carey is fantastic for anybody who is looking for something deep and heart wrenchingly good.
  • Lynn Flewelling: Lynn Flewelling also writes very large and in depth books, but hers are more on the intrigue side of the spectrum. Where Jacqueline Carey will include lots of romance, lots of religion, traveling, and world issues, Lynn Flewelling focuses more on the world issues, the politics, spys and war and many of the horrors that come with these things. But its not all bad! Because across the span of her books, she pulls in that romantic aspect (not a lot, really), but its just enough to lighten the mood ever so slightly. Its good for me, because her books are so meaningful that I need that breather, that chance to pull out of the darker aspects. Lynn Flewelling also does not write books for people who are not willing to dedicate a lot of time to them, however they are so worth it.
  • Tamora Pierce: Now I’m not sure how many of you might have actually heard of Tamora Pierce. The past two are possibilities as they are aimed towards an adult audience and I’m sure most of my readers are adults. Technically, Tamora Pierce is a young adult author. Either way though, everybody should read her. The world she’s created is so well-crafted, and her books also pull in that awesome religious aspect. In her world, some things are truly magical. There is political intrigue, but its not heavy, I suppose its kind of like a toned down version of the past two authors I’ve given you, except completely awesome in its own completely separate way. It has that intrigue, it has that mystical aspect, and the romance, but it not as intense and not as hard to read through. I’ve read at least fifteen books by her and I have to say that for each quartet, each duology, each trilogy she writes, she does a great job of tying them together. Because they’re all in the same realm, they’re all a part of each other’s history and future. Personally I am a HUGE fan of when stories are tied together this way. Jacqueline Carey does it as well. For those of you who want that awesome in depth fiction, want something that is really good but isn’t so much of a commitment, give Tamora Pierce a try.
  • Julia Quinn: I love romance novels. So it would make sense that I would love Julia Quinn. However, I really hope that some other people out there will give her a try, some of you who usually wouldn’t branch into the romance genre. I know it has quite a reputation, how you often see those books of some woman with clothing draping off of her shoulders and a man gripping her close, smoldering into her eyes, his shirt open and well, you get where I’m going with this. And you see these books and you think, “Oh that looks so cheesy, I do not want to read that.” Let me tell you, that is not Julia Quinn’s books! Whatever impression you have about romance novels, it probably doesn’t apply to her books. She ties all of her books together with common characters and with newspaper articles that are popular at the time. And while there is always that emotional issue that one of the characters has to conquer in order for them to come together in the end, the depth of the each of the characters really draws you in. Its beautiful, honestly, how she can craft such interesting and relate-able people over and over again for each of her stories. And in the end, they find love. And that’s really, for me, the best light reading that you can read. Its a happy story. Yes, there are parts that have so much emotion behind them I can’t help but tear up, but there is always a happy ending. Lets face it, life doesn’t really work out that way, and that’s why stories have always been such a great form of escape. So anybody who wants light reading, reading that will pull you in but won’t consume you, read a Julia Quinn book. She is amazing.

Wow, look at what I’ve done here! I’m sorry this post is so huge, and here I’ve got even more authors I would love to share. But I’ve already gone on far too much. Instead, drop us an email if you’re interested in hearing any more suggestions! You can reach me at studentblog@scf.edu, and please, do email me! Of all the things I’d love to hold a conversation about, it is books. Whether we are discussing new ones to explore or are making suggestions to each other, I really can’t get enough good stories in my life.