There are a lot of things I enjoy doing, but I know that I flit from one thing to another pretty often. However, art has something I have dedicated years of my life to, from doodling as a child to art classes in high school, all the way up to my college career. I have made a point to include an art class each semester I’ve studied at State College of Florida. Its been a pretty good journey. I’ve been frustrated a lot of times, chaffing at having to start with beginner classes when everything that interested me were higher level ones. I probably could have brought in my portfolio and gotten permission to move into a higher class, but well, as much as I complain about some things, I am a lazy person.

So I never went in and settled with the classes I didn’t particularly want to take. And it’s been a decently good time, I’ve produced some satisfying pieces, learned a few things I didn’t know. Its been a good experience. My latest foray into art education is Color Fundamentals (also known as Color Theory). Its definitely been a learning experience… in learning things about myself! I’m not a dedicated artist, in case that wasn’t obvious from the beginning. And this class has required a lot of dedication to painting, being self-motivated, all that sort of thing. Which are admirable traits, to be sure, and some that I now know I need to work on. Painting at home, my new enemy! I get so distracted! There are video games, books, my little sister, the internet, it feels like there are a million ways to not work on my paintings. Well, I think I’m done adding in art classes. They’ve been fun, but the time has come to focus on things I’m going to make a living out of… and actually dedicate the right amount of time too.

Are there any classes you wish you’d been able to include in your schedule? Any classes you had a great time in and would suggest to other students?

Share your experiences in an email to studentblog@scf.edu.