So, you’re thinking about being a freshman or freshwoman (for the politically correct) are ya? Well, have I got a blog for you! I noticed this was a category in this blogging forum and I thought, what a great opportunity to try to help those fearful or intimidated by the idea of coming to college.

Well, let me start by admitting that it really is different than high school. You’re used to taking several classes in one day at high school, and most know that you are the master of your own schedule at college. I know some of you may think that since you used to have about 6 or so classes, that means you can easily handle 6 in college. I must say to you however, think again. The trick is that some classes here are much more demanding than others. For example, Anatomy & Physiology I is extremely demanding and some suggest you should only take one other class with it. That’s right, just one!  If there are some classes you are thinking of taking, I strongly suggest you contact an advisor, talk to friends on campus if you know any, or visit the web.  This will teach you the first valuable lesson at college and that is that you are your own advocate. So, get used to asking questions and you’ll see it’s really not that scary after all. Besides, what’s scarier? Having the needed info or wandering aimlessly in the dark? Haha, I think you know the answer to that one.

Another thing you should know about is financial aid.  It’s really not a good idea to take a whole bunch of random classes anymore to see how you like this or that. Why you may ask? Well, you may run out of financial aid before you finish your degree. You know those perpetual students ya hear of? So, what this means for you is that, since you may not know what the heck you want to do with your life yet, you should probably stick to general required courses until you have a clear idea what your interests are. Just keep in mind that if you change directions you need to keep track of how many classes you are racking up. If you are undecided you really ought to seek the help of the Career Resource Center.  Make sure you clearly explain whether or not you plan to transfer after your associates degree or stop there. This makes quite a huge difference! If you plan to transfer out of SCF eventually, your University may have different class requirements than what SCF requires. See why might it be good to have a heads up? 

One more thing I’d like to mention is that if you pay full price for books and you plan on selling them back, do not expect to get anywhere near what you paid for them. You may have better luck selling them on the web or selling them to other students rather than selling them back to the bookstore. You still won’t get anywhere near what you paid for them but you might do a touch better.  Just something to keep in mind before you decide to buy new or used with your grant/loan/ pocket money.

Okay, I know it seems like some of this sounds pretty serious. Guess what? It is serious, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be fun too. There are some nice clubs you may like to be a part of in your spare time, by the way. You’re leaving your childhood behind basically and becoming a true adult. Responsibility comes with this change, but don’t fear it. Instead make it a part of who you are or want to become and be thoughtful and considerate along the way. Small kindnesses can carry you further than you can imagine so leave all the petty and aloof “too cool for school” stuff back in high school. Here, it will only make you seem… well, petty and aloof. People who come to college should be ready to work on themselves after all, you see. If you are ready to do something worth your time and effort finally, that will give you something back later, a career hopefully, than to you I say, “Welcome to the State College of Florida.” Remember that the only thing to fear… is fear itself! Have a good one!

If you’d like to reply to this blog please go to studentblog.scf.edu.