Hello fellow students and readers. Well, I attended the Venice campus’ 2011 Honors Convocation today (Friday April 29th) as promised! I must say that the event was a pleasure to be at. First, I would like to congratulate all the honorees who were awarded by their professors and department heads today! I would love to name you all here but there are simply too many of you to list! In case you don’t know what the Honors Convocation is, it is held to recognize undergraduate students for their exceptional academic initiative and achievements during the year. All honorees were awarded with certificates, some with books and others with actual scholarship money! This year we in the Phi Theta Kappa donated a beautiful cake, which was delicious as usual, and beverages to honor those awarded. We even had the pleasure of seeing one of our own members honored today, former PTK president Jodi Johnson. She won the Coca Cola Scholarship, and is SCF’s very first All-Florida Academic Scholar! Woo hoo Jodi! Jodi happened to be honored by, who will be, our former PTK advisor Stephanie Cook and she really had great things to say of her.  Special thanks to Stephanie Cook for being a fantastic advisor for the PTK!

So, what was it like to be there today? I’ll tell you…it was inspiring! Did you know that SCF awarded a small group of single-mothers for their outstanding effort and achievements? You do now! Fantastic ladies! I think they have sent a great message of inspiration to their families and other single parents out there, don’t you? As was mentioned during the ceremony, many people today are struggling with hard times, children, work, and their academic career.  Gas prices alone are enough to make you kick and scream or consider driving one of those ridiculous scooters, lol.

Seriously though, most could not be honored today but I say you should still be very proud of yourself for juggling all these things so well. If you’re still doing it at all, you’re doing pretty good right? Keep up the good fight you fellow student warriors, in these hard times, and someday the applause will be for you too.  This reminds me of something that very important, that we in the Honor Society are trying to embrace and pass along and it’s the need for students to commit to complete their education. I’m not just talking about SCF students, but students all across the Nation. Students in dire times, or sometimes simply at a whim, will drop out of college and we are urging everyone to make a commitment with us to complete your degrees. Our country has a huge drop-out rate, but we can reverse that with some good old tenacity and endurance! SCF happens to be a leading college in our country as far as graduates is concerned, did you know that? I know we can keep this up with you a part of the commitment! These hard working single parents can do it, and so can we. So, spread the word that you are a part of something bigger than simply yourself, which is of course a great cause, but that you are working to put some pride and faith back into our country’s future. When the going gets tough, don’t flake-out okay? Get tough right back!

By all means, please have a good one!

If you’d like to reply to this blog, please email studentblog.scf.edu