You studied hard all weekend, and now you’re sweating in the hot seat in class as if it’s an electric chair waiting to have the switch thrown. Your professor walks in and starts handing out your exams wistfully, with a hint of a smile. You’re tapping your pencil, chewing your lip, and asking yourself, “What’s going to be on this one? Did I forget anything? Will I remember when I see the questions?” You might also add, “I think I drank too much coffee. Curse that Dunkin Donuts Express in the Hess Station!” Oh, that’s if you’re me, they get me every time now, but I digress. So, you’re freaking out and you need to take this exam. What do you do? Here are a couple things before the big test that may help you out and or boost your confidence level.
1. For crying-out-loud! Don’t forget to breathe! They say that if you take a few deep breaths and stretch your legs and arms before an exam, it may help you collect yourself.
2. If you like chocolate I’ve read that eating it before study time and afterwards can increase your ability to store the information. Dark chocolate is supposed to have a greater effect than milk chocolate.
3. Studying while listening to classical baroque music, or some light jazz is shown to improve your chances of absorbing the material too. There’s a little trick to it though- you need the music to maintain a steady tempo, so make yourself a mix with songs of the same general speed on it. It’s best not to include songs with vocals however as that may
distract you from the words you’re trying to memorize.
4. I know you’ve heard this one before, but try to get a good night of rest and eat a moderate breakfast in the morning. You need that energy to think ya know.
5. Here’s one more. Make sure you take plenty of breaks when studying, even if that means just walking away for a few minutes to stretch after an hour or so. Doing study marathons is not so great. I find that when I start to screw up when I try to write something down or I am getting jumbled up is a good indication that you need a break.
Anyway, keep your head up okay? Don’t let the exam terror pull you down. Instead, just let it wash right over you, acknowledge it, and then rock that exam the best you can. That’s all you can do, right? Make
it worth the sweat, Ha! Have a good one, guys and gals!
If you’d like to respond to this email please go to studentblog.scf.edu .