Have you ever heard someone on campus say, “C is a degree!” about an upcoming test or even about an entire class? I have, in fact I did just last semester. I have to say, when I heard that I didn’t think, “Wow, this person is pushing themselves to their limits.” It seemed like a comment that says that the only effort needed is the bare minimum required to pass. Wouldn’t you agree?

I’m not trying to pick on anyone with my new blog here; I’m just trying to give a little food for thought. I know there are many people here on campus that really fight to get C’s and to them I say, “Awesome!” or probably “Wicked!”(Since I come from R.I. originally), haha. Anyway, I was just thinking that I’ve seen that bare minimum attitude on campus a lot and I thought about what a difference a simple attitude adjustment can make- in all areas of life really.

I say this because I used to be the person in high school who did the bare minimum. I never was involved with any after school events, or groups- except a rock band. I decided at some point though, that my head might serve a better purpose than head-banging, lol. Now that I’m here at college something occurred to me…I have the potential to make a difference in other people’s lives, including my own- so why sit around waiting for the world to cut me a break?

I don’t know, I guess I have developed a sense of pride in my time here at school and I kind of want to share that enthusiasm with some of you here on campus who don’t have that outlook. Why squeak by when you can soar, is all I’m asking? Do you not believe you can? I believe you can because I have come from that same attitude and did a complete turn-around. In fact, Thursday I’m being inducted as an officer in our colleges Phi Theta Kappa honors society and I feel like all my hard work is finally working to my advantage. I’m ready to make a difference around me and I want to be the kind of person people are glad to be around or come to for assistance. Like I said, some people out there fight hard to get where they are and should be very proud of themselves. So why make your time at college feel like you have nowhere better to be when you can turn it into something that will work for you now and in the future? You know what’s funny, you may see a t-shirt or two around campus pretty soon that says, “Why squeak by when you can soar?” because I shared my idea with our PTK group and they felt it was a good attitude to represent around campus. It feels good when you can make a difference, even in a simple gesture like making a suggestion. Anyway, I just wanted to encourage those out there today that college time, is your time and why not make it an awesome time huh?

Well, I’ll get off my soap box now, haha. I just felt compelled to make a statement on campus attitude since it really does make a difference to think positive. So, have a good one!