We Begin With Tragedy

I will make my introduction and announcements brief because I want the focus of this blog to be one thing, and one thing only – Haiti.

My name is PJ German and I am, not only a student blogger, but President of Swamp Scribes, Teacher Assistant/Student Advisor of Elektraphrog, and Teacher Assistant in the English Lab. Aside from college, I have had poetry published and am a freelance journalist for the North Port Sun. My goal for this blog is to bring the college to you, the reader. I will not write about my personal life and how it is affecting my education. In all honesty, if I read a blog like that, I would close the page. I assume you would do that as well; therefore, I will leave that out of my blogs.

A few announcements before I get to the meat of this blog: 1) The last day to web-drop courses with a refund is Saturday, January 16th. If you wish to get money back for classes you have changed your mind about, be sure to do it by the end of this date; otherwise, it will cost you; 2) This coming Wednesday and Thursday, January 20th and 21st, is Club Rush. The theme for Club Rush this semester is Haiti.

On that note, I would like to talk about Haiti. There is, in the making, a college-wide effort to raise money for Haiti. The money will be donated to the Red Cross. We will not be searching for food or clothing. Money is the best way to donate right now. The Red Cross can use that money in whatever way they deem necessary, whether it be food, clothing, or building restructure. Clubs will be collecting money during Club Rush. We understand it is very difficult during this economy to donate. If loose change is all you can give, then we will take that as well. Any amount will go an extremely long way in a country that is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. I will be in contact with people who are forming this, and provide updates as regularly as possible.

‘In the words of one expert on charitable donations, “Most people think America is generous because we are rich. The truth is, we are rich because we are generous.”‘ – David Lee Miller of Fox News in New York City