In the past couple of months I have been a part of a few charity walks/runs and each one has been such an awesome experience! The first one was on October 3rd with SPARCC (Safe Place And Rape Crisis Center) it was a walk against domestic violence. It was a 3.5 mile walk in Sarasota over the John Ringling Bridge. My second was a 5k run on Halloween; it was at the MTI law enforcement academy in Lakewood Ranch. The proceeds went to help the academy students to be able to attend Skills USA. My most recent walk was on November 14th and I was able to attend with Phi Theta Kappa which was a cool experience because I was able to participate in something I love to do and be involved with an organization at school at the same time. This walk was at New College in Sarasota it was 1.25 miles around a gorgeous neighborhood near New College. The turnout was great and 13,000 dollars was raised for the AIDS community in Manatee and Sarasota counties.

I guess you can say participating in charity walks has become a new hobby for me. I have found that they are a lot of fun, a good form of exercise, a great way to support different causes in your community and a great way to spend time with friends and meet new ones! I plan to keep being involved in charity walks and I would like to encourage you to get involved as well.  You might suggest a charity walk as an idea to any clubs or organizations you are involved in. The morale at the walks is amazing and you feel great about yourself for being a part of them. I’ve found the easiest ways to find out about charity walks is to Google charity walks in Manatee/Sarasota County or to look around at local businesses. Businesses often have flyers hanging up with information about charity walks they support.  I’m sure there will be a few to choose from with the holidays coming up!

So happy walking!