My Last Post

“Impossible is just big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.”                                                                                                                                         -Anonymous-

Impossible is a word that has been thrown around carelessly since it was invented. I say that it was invented because humans created this phrase to dictate their current physical and mental limits. Over the past century we have dared to challenge the authenticity of this word and have proved it to be a fallacy over and over again. 150 years ago nobody would have dreamed the possibility of men on the moon, photographs of atoms, African American presidents, cloning of humans or the World Wide Web that allows us to keep in touch with loved ones over great distances. I stand now assured that the word “Impossible” is nothing more than just a word.

We sometimes create limits for ourselves based on the failure of another. The difference between winners and losers is the capacity to perceive this failure as a barricade or as a challenge that must be overcome. Looking at the world today, what do you believe is impossible? You might say time travel, teleportation or even life on other planets. This, of course, is incorrect. These things are not invented yet because the discoveries that lead up to it has not been made.

My grandfather once said “Don’t let anyone tell you that anything is out of reach.”

This thought stayed with me throughout my high school years. Because of many hardships, my grades where not as good as they could be and my dream of being a International Attorney felt shattered. When I went to speak with my guidance counselor she asked what I planned to do.

“I want to attend UF…” I said.

“It is very unlikely that you will get in.” she replied.

“Then I will attend FSU?” I tried to be optimistic.

“The system is very selective, I would recommend going to MCC and applying somewhere within your reach.” Her words echoed in my thoughts.

This was two years ago. I am now proud to say that I have been accepted to UF and FSU and it is now my choice which one I will accept.  I may not have had what it takes back then, but with enough perseverance I was able to dismiss words such as “unlikely” or “impossible” as mere perceptions of other people. It is up to this generation to determine what is possible for the next.

It has been my honor to serve as a blogger for MCC. I have had wonderful teachers who make you think outside the box and give you the tools necessary to push the limits of what is possible. I would like to thank the Advisors, the Ambassadors of MCC and everyone who helped me become involved in such a fun and diverse group of people. I hope that prospective students see and feel what I have experienced at MCC and choose it as their passage towards higher education. I know that if I can inspire one person to challenge the impossible, it would have all been worth it.