I recently had an assignment to do for my Community Health Problems online class. I had to visit five different places in the community and interview someone there about the different services they provide to the community. Honestly at first I was somewhat overwhelmed with the thought of trying to make time to go visit five different places but I got on the phone, made my appointments and was somehow able to fit all of them in to my schedule. I chose to go to Summerfield Retirement Residence, Manatee Glens, The Community Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing of Manatee and Sarasota, YMCA and Jewish Family and Children Services. All of the people I met with were very nice and helpful and it was interesting to learn about all of the different things these places do provide to the community, they provide a lot more than I thought or expected.

This assignment also helped me to realize that even though we might not understand why our instructors have us do different assignments there is always a reason for it. Doing this helped me to realize that it was important and beneficial to actually meet with someone face to face instead of just finding the information online.  It was a good experience to dress up nice, make a good impression and meet with important people that work for these different places in the community. It was also good to learn more about all of the services provided because who knows maybe I will need to take advantage of one of the services someday or I could be a help to someone else who is looking for help in the community.

So I am glad that I was able to do this assignment and make the most out of it. I was able to learn a lot and meet some influential people in the community who might be important contacts for my future. So the next time you have an assignment and you think to yourself why do I need to do this or how is this going to benefit me in the future, go into the assignment with a positive attitude whatever it may be and make the most out of it and you might be surprised about what you learn and how it benefited you.