Dear [soon-to-be] College Student,

I am sitting on the couch watching Fresh Prince of Bell-Air episodes for the 137th time, when suddenly I remember that I have homework due. As I drag myself with excitement for this imminent task, I have a brilliant idea:

“Why don’t I just do my homework during the commercials? Therefore I do not have to choose between television and my homework.” I thought.The plan worked so flawlessly (I’ll tap myself on the back), that I decided to name it. So I called it “The Erik Method”.

Studies show that for every hour that a student spends in the classroom, they should be reviewing three hours at home. These are the habits of highly-successful college students. Even just a glance at the notes you took at school will help… anything to simply refresh your memory with the information that you have written down. Now every time commercials come on TV, I’m not so discouraged because I can be efficient and do homework while all the silly advertisements are muted.

There is, however, a drawback to the “Erik Method”. You should not try this form of efficient time-management for studying for exams. This is due to the fact that studying requires intense retention of the materials which will be very difficult to accomplish in 3 minute intervals of time (between commercials). Other than that, doing small tasks and reviewing for your own personal benefit is fair game. Hope all of this helps.

Your friend,

Erik J. Arroyo