Get involved!

In order to really have the MCC experience, you have to be involved in a club.  Clubs are a great way to get to know new people, learn leadership skills and participate in campus and community activities.  It’s also a great way to be able to explore new interests -without being graded on your progress.

For example, last year a professor encouraged me to join the Progressive Club.  I was a little hesitant because I didn’t know much about politics but I decided to join anyway.  As a member the first year my knowledge and interest grew.  Now I’m the president of the club!  I never would have imagined that I could come so far.  Now I have a real sense of accomplishment for all the things we’ve done as a club.  Plus being a club member looks good on your resume (and being president looks great) :)  I think that my active involvement had a lot to do with being accepted into several honors programs at private Universities. 

This year is very important for the Progressive Club because it is an election year. We are on a mission to educate students about the issues and encourage them to vote. 

On October 16th, the Progressive and Philosophy clubs will be hosting the movie “Freeheld,” which addresses Amendment 2 on the upcoming ballot.  This will be in the Selby room, 800 building, Venice campus at 7pm.  On the Bradenton Campus “Freeheld” will be shown in the Neel Performing Arts Center at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Tuesday, October 21st.  These screenings are open to the public.  We encourage everyone to attend, regardless of where you stand on the “Marriage Protection Act” issue.

Of course not all the clubs on MCC are political.  We have a broad variety ranging from academic and business to the Kendo and Pop Culture clubs.  For a complete list of clubs, please check out http://www.scf.edu/pages/317.asp.  Links to the clubs will be on the left hand side.